Hilda Solis Confirmed! Secretary of Labor for All Working People
February 24, 2009
Statement from UNITE HERE General President Bruce Raynor on Confirmation of Hilda Solis
UNITE HERE applauds the confirmation of Hilda Solis as Secretary of Labor. We look forward to continuing our working relationship with Secretary Solis in her new role. We do not believe there is a more fitting leader for the Department of Labor.
In these dire economic times, working Americans need a Secretary of Labor who will speak for their interests in Washington. We have an historic opportunity to pass the Employee Free Choice Act and rebuild a stronger economy founded on a solid middle-class. Hilda Solis has a consistent record of working to ensure that every American has access to a quality job. We consider her a very strong ally in passing legislation and enforcing laws that help workers.
At UNITE HERE events, Hilda Solis is known as an honorary shop steward—a symbol of the respect she has earned through her decades-long commitment to working Americans. She has walked numerous picket-lines with us in Southern California. Our members have volunteered in every single Solis campaign. And, when she ran for the U.S. Congress, we were the first union to endorse her.
More Frontpage News
- Employee Free Choice Act is Introducted to House and Senate! March 10, 2009
- Hilda Solis Confirmed! Secretary of Labor for All Working People February 24, 2009
- Statement from UNITE HERE General President Bruce Raynor on Launch of The White House Task Force on Working Families January 30, 2009
- A Recovery That Benefits Everyone January 27, 2009
- Listen to Bruce Raynor talk about incoming Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis and outgoing Secretary Elaine Chao on The Peter B. Collins Show January 14, 2009
- Statement on Rep. Hilda Solis Confirmation Hearing from UNITE HERE General President Bruce Raynor: January 9, 2009
- Christina Vazquez on our new Secretary of Labor December 23, 2008
- In monumental victory, Smithfield workers unionize December 16, 2008
- New York Times reports that military contractor fails to pay sick days for low-wage workers December 12, 2008
- Obama will be sworn in to office in a UNITE HERE tuxedo December 9, 2008
- Shop with a Conscience This Holiday Season December 2, 2008