Shop with a Conscience This Holiday Season
December 2, 2008
The start of the holiday shopping season also is the start of the most active time of year for charitable giving. But in the midst of an economic crisis, Americans are considering what, or even if, they can contribute to charity this year.
With that in mind, what about the notion that our shopping - the way we choose to spend our dollars - can create positive change? When you choose to buy a sweater for your son or socks for your sister, you can affect the world around you.
SweatFree Communities and the International Labor Rights Forum have released the"2009 Shop with a Conscience Consumer Guide,"; providing a list of sweatshop-free options for consumers who want to purchase shirts, pants, coats, scarves, hats and other apparel made under ethical conditions.
The guide profiles more than 20 companies that produce clothing in accordance with international fair labor standards, such as ensuring workers' health and safety, living wages and good benefits, and treatment with respect and dignity. In addition, the guide promotes clothing produced in shops where workers are organized into democratic unions or worker-owned cooperatives and have an effective, collective voice in determining their wages and working conditions.
You can also buy union-made UNITEHERE gear at the UNITEHERE store
More Frontpage News
- Employee Free Choice Act is Introducted to House and Senate! March 10, 2009
- Hilda Solis Confirmed! Secretary of Labor for All Working People February 24, 2009
- Statement from UNITE HERE General President Bruce Raynor on Launch of The White House Task Force on Working Families January 30, 2009
- A Recovery That Benefits Everyone January 27, 2009
- Listen to Bruce Raynor talk about incoming Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis and outgoing Secretary Elaine Chao on The Peter B. Collins Show January 14, 2009
- Statement on Rep. Hilda Solis Confirmation Hearing from UNITE HERE General President Bruce Raynor: January 9, 2009
- Christina Vazquez on our new Secretary of Labor December 23, 2008
- In monumental victory, Smithfield workers unionize December 16, 2008
- New York Times reports that military contractor fails to pay sick days for low-wage workers December 12, 2008
- Obama will be sworn in to office in a UNITE HERE tuxedo December 9, 2008
- Shop with a Conscience This Holiday Season December 2, 2008