Statement from UNITE HERE General President Bruce Raynor on Launch of The White House Task Force on Working Families
January 30, 2009
Photo from left to right: UNITE HERE General President Bruce Raynor, SEIU Secretary-Treasurer Anna Burger, Vice President Joe Biden, UNITE HERE Executive Vice President and Change to Win Secretary-Treasurer Edgar Romney, UFCW International President Joseph Hansen, UFW President Arturo Rodriguez. Photo taken by:Linda Chavez-Thompson
This morning, UNITE HERE General President Bruce Raynor joined President Barack Obama, Vice President Joe Biden, and other labor leaders and advocates at the launch of The White House Task Force on Working Families.
Statement from UNITE HERE General President Bruce Raynor
The creation of The White House Task Force on Working Families is a tremendously important action from President Obama and Vice President Biden and one that is consistent with their priorities on the campaign trail. We now have leaders with a genuine interest in working for those who work – and by that I mean the 16 million workers who have a union, the 60 million workers who would like to have a union, and everyone who works hard to put food on the table and a roof over their head.
Our economy has always depended on working families. In our current economic crisis, their recovery is our country’s recovery. Now is the time to ensure that every worker has a living wage, affordable health care, a secure retirement, and a safe workplace.
The Executive Orders President Obama signed today are important first steps. This administration recognizes the federal government's responsibility, as the nation's largest purchaser of goods and services, to set model employment standards for private sector workers – and for the federal workforce.
More Frontpage News
- Employee Free Choice Act is Introducted to House and Senate! March 10, 2009
- Hilda Solis Confirmed! Secretary of Labor for All Working People February 24, 2009
- Statement from UNITE HERE General President Bruce Raynor on Launch of The White House Task Force on Working Families January 30, 2009
- A Recovery That Benefits Everyone January 27, 2009
- Listen to Bruce Raynor talk about incoming Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis and outgoing Secretary Elaine Chao on The Peter B. Collins Show January 14, 2009
- Statement on Rep. Hilda Solis Confirmation Hearing from UNITE HERE General President Bruce Raynor: January 9, 2009
- Christina Vazquez on our new Secretary of Labor December 23, 2008
- In monumental victory, Smithfield workers unionize December 16, 2008
- New York Times reports that military contractor fails to pay sick days for low-wage workers December 12, 2008
- Obama will be sworn in to office in a UNITE HERE tuxedo December 9, 2008
- Shop with a Conscience This Holiday Season December 2, 2008